Frequently asked Questions
- How many of my logins can I store?
- Are there any recurring fees?
- What operating systems does it work on?
- Can I categorise my logins?
- How do I add a login?
- How do I add a category?
- How do I backup my database?
- What is auto shutdown and how do I use it?
- Can I set database backup reminders?
- What is always encrypt password?
- What is “Private” category?
- How do I start My Login Vault, why does it not auto start?
- How do I open a website associated with my login?
- How do I copy my username or password?
- How do I edit a login?
- How do I delete a login?
- How do I view a logins notes?
- Does the software auto-fill login boxes?
- How is my data secured?
- What is a master password?
- I have forgot my master password how do I recover it?
- What is self destruct mode?
- Password advice
- How do I change my master password?
- What happens to data stored on the clipboard?
- Does the software “call home”?
- Does the software require an internet connection?
- Can I use My Login Vault on more than one computer?
- What happens if I lose my device?
- What happens if my device is damaged?
- What if I accidentally delete everything on the USB device?
- What are the files stored on the USB device? Can I move or delete them?
- Can I run My Login Vault from another USB stick?
- Can I run the software on my computer?
- Can I store other files on the USB device?
- How do I backup my database?
- How often should I backup my database?
- Can I set database backup reminders?
- How do I run from a database backup?
- I deleted my database what can I do?
- I have recently bought a second device from you. Can I use the same database on both devices?
- How do I contact support?
- How do I get updates?
- Why do you need my email address?
- Can I sell your product in my shop?
- Contact details for distributers?
- What Languages is My Login Vault Available?
- How many of my logins can I store?You can store a huge number of logins on the device. In terms of limits imposed there are no limits. You are only limited by the space on the device. Having said that during our tests on the 2GB devices there should be enough space to store more than a quarter of a million logins (250,000).
- Are there any recurring fees?NO there are no recurring fees at all. The price you pay at the checkout is the only cost.
- What operating systems does it work on?The software runs on most Windows operating systems including Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. We will be looking in the future to create a MAC version and Linux version.
- Can I categorise my logins?Yes. When you add a login to the database you are given the option to select a category for that login. You can then filter the category’s by the filter option on the main page.
- How do I add a login?Please see our blog post How to add a new login
- How do I add a category?Please see our blog post How do I add a Category
- How do I backup my database?Please see our blog post How to back up the database
- What is auto shutdown and how do I use it?Please See our blog post What is auto shutdown
- Can I set database backup reminders?This can be configured in the database settings option and is on by default. The software records the last backup date. If it has been 7 or more days since your last backup it will remind you to backup.
- What is always encrypt password?This simple setting determines whether your password is displayed on the main screen. Having this setting on (it is on by default) ensures that over the shoulder snoopers or screen capture software cannot see you password.
- What is “Private” category?A private category is a category that is never shown on the main page even when the filter is turned off. The only way to view the private category is to select it in the filter. This prevents logins that you would like to keep private ever showing on the main screen.
- How do I start My Login Vault, why does it not auto start?Since Windows 7 Microsoft have stopped any USB software auto starting for security reasons. To start My Login Vault simply open the USB device via file explorer and double click on myloginvault.exe. If you need further instructions for you operating system check out “Launching My Login Vault”
- How do I open a website associated with my login?On the main login screen right click with your mouse on the login that you would like to visit the website of. You will be presented with a menu and from here you can click “Go To website”. If you populated the URL field when you created the login a new browser window will open its website.
- How do I copy my username or password?You can easily copy the username or password to the clipboard (to paste, CTRL +V) into your login form. On the main login screen right click with your mouse on the login that you would like to copy the username or password. You will be presented with a menu and from here you can click “Copy Username” or “Copy Password”. You can then paste the copied data into the website or login box of your choice. The clipboard is cleared of login data when the software is closed.
- How do I edit a login?Please see our blog post How to edit logins
- How do I delete a login?On the main login screen right click with your mouse on the login that you would like to delete. You will be presented with a menu and from here you can click “Delete”. You will recieve a message box confirming that you wish to delete the login.
- How do I view a logins notes?On the main login screen right click with your mouse on the login that you would like to view more details of. You will be presented with a menu and from here you can click “View Details”. In the window that opens you will be able to see all the details of the login including the notes.
You can also double left click a login to bring up the view details page
- Does the software auto-fill login boxes?No the software does not automatically fill in the login boxes for the sites you go to. In an effort to keep the software as simple, independent of other software (ie browsers, toolbar’s etc.) and as secure as possible we decided not to add this feature and stick with the simplicity of copy and pasting into the login boxes . That is not to say we wont add this feature in the future if user demand for the feature is high enough.
- How is my data secured?When you first launch the program you are required to create a master password. This password is used not only to allow access to the program but also helps create the encryption key that encrypts your data.
When you then create a login your personal data is encrypted BEFORE it is inserted into the database using AES encryption. As an additional layer the database is also password protected to prevent most database browsers viewing the data (even if someone could circumvent the database the data is still encrypted)
Data is only decrypted when the correct master password is entered at the start up screen and is only decrypted while the application is running. The data in the actual database is ALWAYS encrypted.
The database is also bound to the device and vice versa. The software cannot be run from another USB device or installed directly onto a computer
- What is a master password?The master password is the password you create when you first start the program and is known ONLY to you. We do enforce a few rules for the master password for your security. The password must be a minimum of 8 characters and must include at least one uppercase letter and one number.
You will not be able to access the program or decrypt your data without this master password. For security we do NOT store your password anywhere in the database which means should you forget your master password you WILL NOT be able to recover your data.
- I have forgot my master password how do I recover it?Unfortunately, this is not possible. To recover your master password, we would need to store your password somewhere in the database which would compromise the security of your data.
For this reason if you forget the master password unfortunately your data will NOT be unrecoverable.
- What is self destruct mode?No the device is not going to blow up! If you have this mode set in the settings it will wipe all the data on the device if there are X number of failed logins. This is something that can be set in case you ever physically lose the device. For example, you have enabled self-destruct and set the max consecutive failed logins to 10. Someone picks it up in the street after it falls out of your pocket and takes it home and enters the incorrect password 10 times the database is then cleared of all logins.
While we were reluctant to add this feature and by default it is set to disabled it can be enabled via settings. Due to the fact that it deletes all your data it is ONLY recommended for those that are doing regular backups of their logins or are of the paranoid nature!
- Password adviceMaster Password – We advise that this password be as strong as you can possibly make it (without forgetting it) Although we force the password to be at least 8 characters long and contain a uppercase letter and a numeral the longer and more complex you can make the password the greater the security.
Our recommendation would be 14 characters and include uppercase, lowercase, numerals and symbols. For example:
T6d$23Hhjv&p8q – This password would take 1000s of YEARS if not longer with today’s technology to crack. Do NOT use this password example only
- How do I change my master password?See How to change my master password
- What happens to data stored on the clipboard?Whenever the application is closed the clipboard is cleared meaning no passwords are left lingering that can be pasted.
- Does the software “call home”?No. It is designed to need as little interaction as possible.
- Does the software require an internet connection?The software does not require an internet connection unless you wish to use the “go to website” option on a login.
- Can I use My Login Vault on more than one computer?You can use the device on ANY PC running Windows. There are no limits to the number of computers you can plug the USB device into so it can be used on your home laptop, work PC, internet cafe computer etc.
- What happens if I lose my device?If you have lost your stick you can purchase My Login Vault again and use a backup of your database on the new stick. Although it does require a little work this can be done relatively quickly with the help of support
- Purchase a new device Here
- When it comes to setting up the master password choose the same password as before (This has to be EXACTLY the same as it was before or your data will not decrypt)
- Replace the database file in the data folder with your backup
- Contact support who will advise on how to rep,/br>lace the device ID so that your backup database can be used with the new device.
- You should be able to login to the device as before and all your data be there (as long as you had an up to date backup)
N.B All requests to change device ids and run from other devices are recorded to reduce illegal copying and distribution.
- What happens if my device is damaged?As we know accidents can happen and My Login Vault will allow you to install the software and your data on another device of your choosing if your original device is damaged. Please contact support at support for further information
Please note this will only be performed free of charge once. Any subsequent times will be charged at £9.99. All requests to change device ids and run from other devices are recorded to help avoid software piracy.
- What if I accidentally delete everything on the USB device?If you accidentally delete everything on your stick you will need to contact support who will send you copies of the files to put back on the stick. You will also need a copy of your database file to recover your logins.
While we are happy to do this free of charge if this happens on a regular basis (i.e. more than a couple of times a year) there will be a deletion recovery charge of £9.99 that will be applied at our discretion.
- What are the files stored on the USB device? Can I move or delete them?The folders on the device must be left where they are as they are essential for the software to work correctly. These must NOT be deleted
- Can I run My Login Vault from another USB stick?There are certain circumstances where we will help you run the software and a copy of the database on another device (for example you lost the original device or it is damaged). Purchasing a device entitles you to run only one copy of the software and that is from the stick supplied only.
- Can I run the software on my computer?No. My Login Vault is designed to run from a USB stick to increase the security (the fact it is removable). If you wish to and understand that it does decrease the security you could leave the USB stick plugged in at all times and create a shortcut on your desktop to the exe which would give you quick access.
- Can I store other files on the USB device?Yes. The USB device can be used as you would normally use a flash drive as long as you do not delete the My Login Vault Folders and the exe file. There are 2 folders on the drive that must not be deleted, Data and x86. These are hidden folders but can be viewed by selecting view hidden files and folders in windows. They are hidden to help try and avoid accidental deletion. The only visible file on the device is the My Login Vault exe which also must not be deleted.
It is recommended you leave some space on the drive for the database to grow as you add logins but unless you intend on adding more than a couple of thousand logins the database is never likely to grow to more than 10MB leaving you plenty of space for and documents and files you wish to store on the drive.
- How often should I backup my database?You should backup your database as often as you add new logins. Remember if your device is lost or damaged your backup is the way you will access your logins so it needs to be up to date.
There is a reminder option that is configurable that will remind you to back up your database every 7 days.
- How do I run from a database backup?If you have purchased a new device and need to run your database backup on your new device please contact support and they will help you get your backup running on the new device. Remember the master password will still be the same on the backup.
If you are trying to install the software and a backup of your data on a USB device you have as the original is damaged or lost you will need to contact support who will advise how this can be done.
- I deleted my database what can I do?If you accidentally delete your database file you can simply copy a backup of your database into the Data folder on the USB device. Remember the master password will still be the same.
- I have recently bought a second device from you. Can I use the same database on both devices?Yes of course. You will need to contact us at email@example.com once you have both devices and from there we can quickly make the database work with both devices.
- How do I contact support?The support email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- How do I get updates?When you purchase My Login Vault you will receive 12 months of free updates (Meaning you don’t have to buy a new device if some new feature is added)
Because of the way My Login Vault has been designed and the reasoning that the less interaction with things outside the device means more security there is little integration with the internet or any other device.
Intentionally the software does not call home for updates or information so all updates are provided by means of a download and you will be notified via email if an update is available.
- Why do you need my email address?It is essential we have your email address as it is the only way we can contact you regarding updates to the software.
- Can I sell your product in my shop?Yes we would be delighted if you chose to sell our product within your business. The product must be sold as is and not re-branded. Small bulk packs of 10 can be bought on our website saving nearly a third on RRP. If you would like to purchase in larger quantities, please contact us at email@example.com and someone from our trade team will contact you direct
- Do you offer trade prices/wholesale prices?Please contact us at support with a subject of “Trade query” initially and someone from our trade team will be in touch ASAP.
- What Languages is My Login Vault Available?My Login Vault is currently only available in English but there are plans to make it available in multiple languages in the near future.